Wednesday, May 16, 2012

In your eye

Last week a little kid on the playground punched M. in the eye because M. wasn't moving fast enough in this little game they were playing (game=opening and shutting a gate). He has trouble with things like doorknobs and latches. I kept my cool while scolding this kid (whose mom was nowhere in sight), though I was furious. Eventually I did find the mom and she apologized and made her kid apologize. The whole situation was disturbing to me, not only b/c 2.5 seems awfully young for one's first punch (not a hit, not a shove, but a closed-fist, expertly placed punch in the eye). But more b/c he got punched because he wasn't doing something the other kid wanted, and he wasn't doing it b/c he's autistic and it's hard for him to do it. And that made me fear that this is what it will be like for him growing up. Teased, taunted and bulled for not being able to do things he really wants to do. I already see how frustrated he gets by just not being able to do stuff.How much worse will it be when teasing is added on top of it? Some kids are real assholes.

No comments:

Post a Comment